Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The law was twisted

I remember very well when our former Lord President, Tun Salleh Abas was sacked. Five other judges were also suspended of whom two were sacked. It was 1988. I remember cursing the former PM, Mahathir and his regime. I was in ITM at that time and wrote a strong-worded piece about the issue. But the article didn't see the light of day because my lecturer felt it was too hot to be printed.

The whole thing was flawed. And outstanding citizens were sacrificed for the sake of political expediency. Those were the darkest days for justice. The most important pillar of democracy suffered and never recovered. Our judicial system was made a pariah in the international arena.

That's why I'm glad that today, the Bar Council has called for a revisit of the judicial crisis. Minister Nazri said "we can't keep questioning past issues, otherwise there will never be finality." The usual lame response we get from our elected leaders. If we can't question past issues, how are we going to right the wrongs of the past?

Here are some of Tun Salleh's comments featured in the NST today,

"I tell you the truth. After I was dismissed on Aug 8, 1988, I became absolutely disillusioned with the law. So much so that I never encouraged my children and grandchildren to study law. But I took my comfort and solace in becoming a simple gardener. But I kept on praying to God that a day would arrive that the truth would triumph."

"The truth is that my dismissal and the suspension of five colleagues, two of whom were dismissed, was a great fraud on the judiciary. Somehow or other the truth will emerge."

"...but the law that we had before was twisted. It was a clear example of the use of the law of the power. It cost the life of one judge, the late Tan Sri Eusoffe Abdoolcader. He was so disillusioned with the law. "

You can read more of his comments here.

You should also try to find the book, May Day For Justice co-written by Tun Salleh Abas and K. Das.

Heavens may fall but let justice be done.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home