Friday, March 23, 2007

I Am Muslim

Went to Dina Zaman's book launch on Wednesday nite. Great launch. But the "male-dressed-as-female" dance ritual was a tad peculiar for me. "It's sufi" says Dina. Like that ah?

I'm sure there were gatecrashers although the book launch was "by invitation only". It's in Central Market, what do you expect? And Malaysians do like to gatecrash. Kita kan rakyat jelata yang berkulit tebal. By the way Central Market looks so nice and classy. Haven't been there for ages hence I was pleasantly surprised to see the transformation.

While I was admiring the paintings I heard someone's voice.

"Pak Man!"

Hey, my anak buah pun ada. Dik Wan, is a musician and he's there to perform during the launch. His gendang group brought the roof down. Nice show. Also met my ITM junior. Actually I only know her face, not her name. We chatted while I was trying hard to recall her name. I'm bad at remembering names. Faces boleh ingat but names a bit susah unless you look like Hannah T.

Talking about "gatecrashers" another infamous Malaysiana is that we don't know when to shut up. People giving speeches kat depan, people pot-pet pot-pet kat belakang. Performance and readings kat depan, people pot-pet pot-pet kat belakang. There are times for chatter and there are times for respect.

All in all it was a successful launch. I'm happy for her. It's a dream come true. I hope she can become really kaya as a writer. Go buy her book. It's out now. It's witty yet thought provoking. Only RM30. Nope, Dina ain't gonna give me "duaapulohperrsen" royalty. I just like to promote local writers. More so when the writer is a friend.

Here are excerpts from her book "I Am Muslim":


"My first memory or rather introduction to my religion was asking Ustaz Dahalan, 'If God existed, how come I couldn’t see Him?' My mother was mortified, my father rolled his eyes – 'Ahh ... Dina, again you ask funny questions,' and Ustaz laughed.

I was about seven years old then. My unlimited play time was now shortened, as for an hour twice a week, I was to learn how to read and recognise the Arabic alphabets. That attempt was short-lived for not long after, we moved to Moscow."

"To be a Muslim in Malaysia can be complex and confusing. In school and religious classes held after school, a young child is taught how to read the Quran and conduct his life as a good Muslim. He or she may go home and faces a different world altogether: MTV, parents who drink socially and yet pray, and cannot put two and two together."

"These are the questions I ask: are Muslim Malaysians lost? Do we lack confidence in ourselves and that is why we hold onto religion or a certain lifestyle, because there is nothing else left to make us feel fulfilled? Contented?

What makes us Muslim when we wear the hijab but consort with shamans, drink and hold discourses on Cuban cigars while attending Friday prayers diligently, and at the same time, swallow everything an imam tells us when he could be a con-man? Who are we as people and personalities?"



2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Incognito said...

Got it already. It's definitely good reading.

11:20 AM  
Blogger aman said...

mr incognito: good for u. now get dina to belanja u makan.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home