Monday, September 11, 2006

KB is hot!

Just got back from KB - Kota Bharu. It's so hot over there. Rasa nak terbakar kulit. Stayed there almost two weeks till I'm familiar with the road. Went to all sorts of places, some I haven't heard before. Like Dewan Beta. No, it's not a hall. It's a name of a kampung.

When I was in Tanah Merah I met my old college buddies, Suria and Shafie. Both are husband and wife. We talked and talked. From stories of our ITM days to Planet Pluto. They moved there from KL so that they can get a better quality of life, especially for their children. I kinda agree with that. Kelantan is definitely different from KL. Life moves slowly. You can still buy a kuih for 10 sen. Like Shafie said, "kat sini gaji sikit pun boleh hidup senang lagi". I could see that they are happy in Tanah Merah. I hope they stay happy.

While sipping tea in one of the kampungs, I saw a Merdeka celebration at the school there. Siap ada gajah lagi. Wah... these Kelantanese take Merdeka Day seriously. One night, I saw a Dikir Barat competition. It was a treat watching them. The competing groups came with bright coloured baju. One group looked like a Christmas tree. Another had a pink tanjak or headgear. Maybe they were representing Puteri Umno, no?

KB is thriving. Who says there's no "pembangunan" in Kelantan? Went to Pasar Siti Khadijah again. Thought of inspecting the public toilet but my hunch tells me it's still dirty. It's a public toilet in Malaysia after all.

Though was busy running around, I tried as much as I could to catch up on news. Read about the passing of the Crocodile Hunter. You'll be dearly missed, mate. But I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read about our first astronaut who, with great pride, would try to attempt the teh tarik in space. NASA should learn from us.

The Budget was announced while I was there. After the Budget I went to one sekolah agama rakyat (SAR). Met the Guru Besar. He told me the exemption of exam fees are only for government schools. It does not cover private or independent schools like his. According to him, the Kelantan government now has to spend RM1.2 million to cover the fees.

"Dulu kito tok seh sekolah agamo bawoh kementeriye, jadi dio buak lagu nie".

On the flight back I read Minister Hishamuddin's statement. It's true. Only government schools are exempted.

It makes me sad.

And I can't help but think of the Google mantra - "Don't be evil".


1 Comments:

Blogger zaida Ismail said...

Govt school jer? Cehh!!! Sungguh tidak memberangsangkan!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home